Checking Your Tyre Pressures in Edinburgh
- Safety - Tyres that are under inflated can overheat and will be more susceptible to damage, over inflated tyres can lead to poor handling on the road. Both situations will also increase the wear on the tyre.
- Economy - Over or under inflated tyres can suffer more damage than tyres with the correct pressure, they also need to be replaced more regularly due to increased wear. Vehicles with under-inflated tyres create more drag and this means that more fuel will be used to keep to the same speed.
- Environment - Correct tyre pressures help to maintain fuel efficiency. This means that the less fuel you use the lower the Co2 emissions will be. Also as your tyres will last longer and thus less waste will be produced by not having to change your tyres to early.
How often should I check my tyre pressures?
It is recommended that you check your tyre pressures approximately once per month. It is important to check your tyres when they're 'cold', by this we mean the car hasn't been driven within the past few hours.
If you're driving to a petrol station or a garage to check your pressures, try to ensure it's a relatively close location so your tyres don't heat up too much!
How do I check my current tyre pressure?
To get started, you can find the correct tyre pressures for your vehicle by looking either on the inside of the fuel cap, the inside of the door or the vehicle handbook.
Once you know the correct pressures for your vehicle, simply follow the below steps,
- Remove the valve cap from the tyre
- Push the pressure gauge onto the valve stem until the 'hissing' stops and the gauge gives you a reading
- If the reading is above the recommended psi, you can let air out of the tyres. You can do this by pushing down on the metal pin inside the valve stem with an object such as a screw driver
- If your tyres are under the recommended psi, refill with air until your tyres are showing the correct psi!
We've found your vehicle!
If these details don't match your vehicle, check your registration and try again.